Its been a long night here at Little Web Empire. We
decided that it would be a good time to upgrade our site from an
older version of Umbraco (v220.127.116.11) to the latest stable build
The upgrade was pretty straight forward. Here's what we did.
- Backup! First thing we did was take a backup
because the last thing we wanted was to be in a position of no
return with problems.
- Download. We downloaded the Umbraco v4.5.2
we used the .net 3.5 as our hosting provider is a little behind and
has not updated the .net framework to version 4 yet.
- Compare or follow update instrustions. We then
proceeded to do a compare between the downloaded directory
structure and our site. Beyond Compare from Scooter Software is
really good for this amd was our tool of choice. We did it
this way rather than following the standard upgrade instructions as
we had a few custom items we did not want to lose in the upgrade so
comparing was our safest bet. Main things that change are the
DLLs in the bin, the Umbraco directory, the umbraco_client
directory, some config files in the config directory, you will also
notice that Umbraco now uses the App_Data folder for its storeage
rather than the data folder. The web.config file changes also.
- Install/Upgrade. Next you run the install
step. You may get confronted by the password
challenge. If you do there is one thing to be aware of
between earlier versions of Umbraco and the later versions that the
passwords are now hashed. Because of this hashing your
password will no longer work so the easy way to fix this is to
modify the web.config file to tell the UsersMembershipProvider not
to hash password by removing the following attribute.
You should be able to login as normal after doing this.
- XSLT Errors! Follow the upgrade wizard and it
will eventually complete after a few steps. Your database at
this stage is updated and in theory the site is good to go, but if
you use XSLT for anything you will notice errors all over your
site. This is because the XML schema changed with the
release of version 4.5.
- Convert XSLT. To fix XSLT errors due to schema
change you have a couple of options. You can set the schema
back to the legacy one, or you can opt to use the new schema which
means you will need to modify all of your XSLT files to the new
format. There are some advantages to moving to the new
format such as readability and some of the newer packages disregard
the old schema so we opted to go with the new schema and update the
XSLT. To aid in the update however there are XSLT schema
converters available online, and we went with the one built by
Tommy Poulsen. This simple page allows you to paste your old
XSLT file in and get a new file out. It worked on most things
but there were some instances that required us to do manual
updates, in particular it is unable to convert
@nodeTypeAlias. We had to manually change any statement the
used it to something like this:
/* [@isDoc and local-name() = 'NodeType']
which is equivalent to /node [@nodeTypeAlias =
Hash your passwords. after we had worked through
all of our XSLT and cleared all the errors we had a working
- The last thing we was to turn password hashing one in the
web.config while we were still logged in. Our session
remained intact so it still thought we were
authenticated. We then went to the Users section and
reset the passwords for our users to save the new hashed password
to the database.
And that was it. Our site was upgraded.
Hopefully some of this is useful to others.